Amphibian Stage seeks visionary 2D, 3D, sound, movement and digital artists to collaborate in “Neighborhood Leap,” the South Main Street area’s augmented reality art, culture and performance trail opening in Spring 2022.
Amphibian Stage is a 501c3 non-profit theatre company and entertainment venue whose mission is to produce innovative and engaging work that inspires new ideas, opens new doors, and increases our understanding of the vast world around us. Since its founding in 2000, Amphibian’s objective has not only been to entertain, but also to give audiences something to think about, to incite conversation, to bring up important issues and big ideas, and to make an impact—whether it be a ripple or a wave.
Amphibian is located at 120 S. Main Street in Fort Worth’s vibrant Near Southside neighborhood, which is known for its community spirit and unique, owner-operated boutiques, restaurants, bars and arts facilities. The area’s recent approval by the Texas Commission on the Arts as a Cultural District is expected to draw more attention and tourism to the neighborhood.
‘Neighborhood Leap’ (working title) is an immersive, augmented reality, street art and performance trail that generates a digital layer of creative content, covers buildings, animates public art, and allows performers to interact with digital architecture. Experienced through a smartphone and headphones, the trail highlights our neighborhood’s focus on the support of the arts, inclusivity and urban placemaking.
Originally conceived and directed in England under the title “Up My Street” by Kwesi Johnson of The Cultural Assembly, this experience allows audiences to: use a phone like an aerosol can and create augmented reality street art together, hear poetry and music specifically created for a certain location, learn interesting stories about the people behind the businesses they pass by, see murals come to life, and much more. Audiences will be transported into digital worlds designed with the help of our community.
Key collaborators include The Cultural Assembly, a collective of artists who define themselves as place activators working at the intersection of the arts, culture, creative technology and the built environment. They work with street art, culture and community to make destinations remarkable.
The proposal will adhere to creative themes including but not limited to: the arts, community, collaboration, neighborhood history.
A focus on attracting cultural tourism of audiences that are diverse in age, ethnicity, cultural background, and income levels is key to this project.
Appropriateness of scale.
Content: No subject matter that could be construed as advertising or political in nature.
SCOPE OF SERVICES:
The initial interview will focus on the context and the artists ideas for the project. This discussion may be informed by artistic goals, approach, and or precedents that inform the work.
The final selected artists will be awarded a $1000 stipend for the completion of a plan that our developers can digitize.
Please follow THIS LINK to see what might be possible with your work
ARTIST SELECTION CRITERIA:
Examples of past projects, with at least 5 color images of two or more completed projects, and two supporting professional references.
2. Willingness to work with Amphibian Stage to develop and refine the concept.
3. Idea for project that demonstrates an innovative artistic vision that speaks to the unique nature and history of Fort Worth’s South Main Street
4. Willingness to enter into a contractual agreement with Amphibian Stage.
5. Agreement to allow images of the completed work to be placed on the Amphibian Stage web site and social media accounts.
6. Preference will be given to North Texas artists.
SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING MATERIALS:
Please use THIS LINK to submit your materials, which should include
1. Overview: Cover letter with artists statement, short bio and resume.
2. Experience: Descriptions and images, audio tracks or videos of relevant work. We also seek a track record of community collaboration and a specific understanding of Fort Worth’s community.
3. Concept: Tell us where your creativity is leading you when thinking about this project through narrative as well as any other relevant medium that helps us understand your ideas.
INQUIRIES AND COMMUNICATION:
Any and all questions regarding this RFQ should be submitted by email to: email@example.com Please, no phone calls.