Spark Design Competition
Amphibian Stage in Fort Worth is seeking applications from emerging costume and scenic designers to participate in it’s upcoming SPARK FEST, a month-long festival celebrating the spark of creativity. SPARK FEST will run from July 8-31. During the festival, from July 16-18, we will be holding the SPARK DESIGN competition. Up to 6 designers (3 Costume, 3 Scenic) will be selected from the application pool, paired with one of the 3 plays currently being developed and asked to create a non-realized design for the play. The designs will then be displayed in the lobby of Amphibian Stage during the weekend that the plays are receiving staged readings . Audiences, artists and creatives (local and regional), invited Producers and Industry Professionals from theatres across the nation will be in attendance and will be able to view the designs. Plus there are cash prizes! See information below…
WHO CAN APPLY: Applicants must be current students or recent graduates (2019-2021) of a local college/university undergraduate theatre program. We are seeking only Emerging Designers in the area of Costume and Scenic please.
HOW TO APPLY: Emerging Designers must upload the following materials to: Submittable Spark Design
- A brief introduction
- An attached resume – make sure you provide us with correct and current contact information
- Attached samples from ONLY 1 realized or non-realized design from your portfolio. Sketches, renderings, drawings, elevations, ground plans, pictures of models, pictures of finalized design (if realized) etc. are all acceptable. Please submit in pdf or jpeg format. We highly encourage you to submit your best work!
- A brief recommendation letter from a professor at your institution of training
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION: All applications must be received by June 18, 2021
PARTICIPANTS ANNOUNCED: The Emerging Designers will be contacted by a representative of Amphibian Stage on or before June 24, 2021
COMPETITION RULES: Once notified of participation in SPARK DESIGN, the Emerging Designer will be assigned one of the 3 scripts being developed during the festival. Each designer will have an opportunity to meet with the play’s directors/playwrights to discuss vision, gain insight into the play and ask questions. Then the designer will get to work on their interpretation and design.
- All completed designs must be submitted and approved by Wednesday, July 14, 2021.
- Displays can be installed in our lobby on Friday, July 16, 2021 from 10AM-4PM; displays can be broken down/picked up on Monday, July 19 between 10AM-6PM
- Each designer is responsible for creating, installing and removing their own displays. The displays will go on our tables set out in the lobby and must fit within a 4’x4′ space. Two displays per table. Tables are each 4’x8′
- A short concept statement must accompany the display
- Only 1 design permitted by participants (either costume or scenic)
- All designers must be local/regional
CASH PRIZE AMOUNTS:
- 1st place is a $500 cash prize
- 2nd and 3rd place are $100 cash prizes each
- The remaining participants are all $50 cash prizes
WHO SELECTS THE APPLICANTS AND THE WINNERS:
- All applications will be screened and selected by members of the Amphibian Stage staff
- Winners will be voted upon by Amphibian Stage Staff, the playwrights and directors and by two outside adjudicators
WHEN ARE THE WINNERS ANNOUNCED: Winners will be announced and prizes awarded on Saturday, July 17th at 6:30PM in the lobby of Amphibian Stage.
Each participant will receive free access to all the readings and workshops in the festival. Please note: reservations must be made in advance.